Monday 15 April 2013

Easy Chicken Noodle Miso Soup

So I had a craving for some miso soup one day but I wasn't really planning on making anything much, and I wasn't sure if I had all my favourite ingredients together either. It was after coming in from a damp day out, and my fingers where slightly numb that I decided to rustle up a quick pot of miso soup, nothing fancy but definitely delicious and warming none the less. I can honestly say it really did the job for me, and I've made quite a few times since. So here is my last minute (super fast and easy too) chicken noodle miso soup!

Ingredients:

  • 4 cups chicken stock
  • 90g Egg Noodles
  • 2 chicken breasts, diced
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • Spinach leaves, about 5 large leaves
  • Chinese leaf or cabbage
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
  • 3 tablespoons (or to taste) Miso paste.


Method:

Heat the chicken stock in a pot with the diced chicken, onion, Chinese leaf (I just shredded some leaves, however much you like) and sesame oil. When the chicken starts to look cooked through add the egg noodles and spinach leaves (I cut about 5 large leaves in half and added them). When the noodles are soft and cooked through its time to add the miso!

DON'T LET THE SOUP BOIL! At this point make sure it is only simmering. The miso will lose its flavour and health benefits if over heated.

Thin the miso paste in a large soup ladle full of the soup stock (while it is still partially immersed in the pot), whisk with chopsticks or a fork to a smooth consistency first and then lower into the soup and mix. Serve!

The beauty of miso is that it is both  pretty quick to make and very versatile! You have the freedom here to let your imagination reign. Fish, meat, tofu, various vegetables you love, go for it.
Typically a good dashi stock is used which is very delicious and also goes great with fish and tofu. You can even just make the miso alone without any stock, just heat up 4 cups of water and add 3 tablespoons of miso paste in the same way. You can add some tofu cubes and/or spring onions to this or leave  it plain.
Whichever you choose, you'll have a nice silky soup that will do wonders for your body.

Notes:

"Miso is very good for your body and is amazing for women! It helps to keep our hormones and reproductive bits healthy and in check. Women who have a bowl of miso every morning also have a far less chance of suffering hot flushes / flashes which is even more reason to tuck into some good hearty miso.

No comments:

Post a Comment